Sunday 4 March 2012

Speech in Milan, April 23, 1945

The Last Speech of Mussolini

By Benito Mussolini

Asvero Gravelli brought me here to you, because I heard that you wanted to see me and hear my voice.

Many of you will constitute the Arditi Officer Unit of the Republican National Guard. You will have immediate provisions for employment.

But I must tell you, you need to be prepared and on your feet for the events that are about to take place. We must fight like the heroic Fascists of Florence, Forli and Bologna, who fought to the death. Our adorable Fatherland must not perish. If Italy were to die, then for us life would not be worth living.

We will reach the Valtellina to prepare the last, desperate defense: to die with the sun in our face and our eyes gazing at the mountain tops, the last smile of the Fatherland.

The hour is grave, but whatever our destiny may be, my veterans of the Militia, I launch at you the ancient and new battle cry: One for all, all for one!