Tuesday 5 February 2013

Letter to His Wife Rachele Mussolini, April, 26 1945


Como, April 27, 1945

Dear Rachele,

I am at the last phase of my life, at the last page of my book. We two may never meet again, and that is why I am writing and sending you this letter. I ask your forgiveness for all the harm I have unwittingly done you. But you know that you are the only woman whom I have ever really loved. I swear it before God, I swear it before our Bruno in this supreme moment. You know that we must go to the Valtellina. Take the children with you and try to get to the Swiss frontier. There you can build up a new life. I do not think that they will refuse to let you in for I have always been helpful to them and you have had nothing to do with politics. Should they refuse, surrender to the Allies who may be more generous than the Italians. Take care of Anna and Romano, especially Anna who needs it so badly. You know how I love them. Bruno in heaven will help you. My dearest love to you and the children.

Yours,

BENITO