Tuesday 5 February 2013

Letter to Adolf Hitler, June 2, 1940


Rome, June 2, 1940

Führer,

I thank you most sincerely for the message which you sent me in answer to mine, which was delivered by Ambassador Alfieri.

The victorious conclusion of the first phase of the war in Flanders has ignited the enthusiasm of the whole Italian people, as well as my own.

Regarding the date of Italy's entry into the war, I fully appreciate the advantage of delay which allows your Luftwaffe to identify and destroy the French Air Force. This brief delay also allows me to perfect my defensive preparations in all metropolitan and overseas areas.

My program is as follows: On Monday, June 10, declaration of war; and on the morning of June 11 the commencement of hostilities.

Regarding a meeting I thank you for having proposed one, but I think it would be better for it to take place after Italy's entry into the war.

In the speech which I shall make a few hours after the declaration of war, I shall say that, true to her policy, Italy does not intend to extend the theater of war, and I shall name the Danube and Balkan countries including Greece and Turkey.

Now I will express to you my wish to see at least a representative contingent of the Italian Army fighting side by side with your soldiers, in order to demonstrate in the field the affinity of arms and the comradeship between our revolutions. If you accept my offer, I will send you a few regiments of Bersaglieri, who are valiant and resistant soldiers.

Meanwhile I send you my most heartfelt greetings and best wishes for the success of our Armed Forces.

MUSSOLINI