Tuesday 5 February 2013

Second Letter to Adolf Hitler, August 26, 1939


August 26, 1939

Führer,

I believe that the misunderstanding into which Attolico involuntarily fell was cleared up immediately, in accordance with my instructions. That which I asked of you, except for the anti-aircraft batteries, was to be delivered in the course of twelve months. But even though the misunderstanding has been cleared up, it is evident that it is impossible for you to assist me materially in filling the large gaps which the wars in Ethiopia and Spain have made in Italian armaments.

I will therefore adopt the attitude which you advise, at least during the initial phase of the conflict, so as to immobilize the maximum Franco-British forces, as is already happening, while I shall speed up military preparations to the utmost possible extent.

I leave it up to you to imagine my state of mind in finding myself compelled by forces beyond my control not to afford you positive solidarity in the moment of action.

And it is also for this reason that I venture to insist anew, and not at all from considerations of a pacifist character which is foreign to my nature, but by reason of the interests of our two peoples and our two kingdoms, on the opportunity for a peaceful solution, which I regard as still possible and such a one as will give full moral and material satisfaction to Germany.

MUSSOLINI